Saturday, October 31, 2009

Are You Thankful For Your Water Heater?

It is 6:00 AM. The alarm goes off and it is time to get up. With sleep in your eyes, and bad breath about to make you gag, you find your way to the bathroom. The room is chilly, even with the rug in the floor. You turn the shower on and jump in as usual. AAHHHHHH! The water is too cold. “What is going on?” you ask yourself. Obviously, it has something to do with the water heater!

Several years ago, my wife and I bought some property and placed a double wide trailer on it. It was January 2000 and there was snow on the ground. I left the apartment we were staying in at our church and drove down the street at 6:00 AM to take a shower in our new home before work. Though we hadn’t yet moved in, I still wanted to shower there. The evening before, I had turned water heater on, expecting to have warm water in the morning. Well, you guessed it… no hot water! I was so disappointed. I had made a fatal mistake. I must have turned the power on too soon before the tank had completely filled with water. The bottom line was that I did not have hot water!

Most people have had that problem for various reasons, but there is some help. Now you can get these new fangled heaters. You know… the ones that heat the water as you need it! They must be great. That being said, I had not appreciated hot water until then! I am finding that the older I get, the more I like hot water. Especially in the morning! When I build another house, I think I will invest in one of those new water heaters.

In the old days, people had to heat their water over a fire or on the wood stove. It took some time, but you could get a hot bath every now and then. Now we just turn the faucet and there she is! The water is the temperature you want it. We sure have come a long ways from those early days here in America. Around the world, many still have to heat water the old way. We should be thankful that we have the ability to enjoy such luxuries as a hot water heater!

Here is a link to get some tip for maintaining your water heater: http://www.diynetwork.com/plumbing/tips-on-maintaining-a-water-heater/index.html

Please share your story about the water heater mishap. Pass this along this to your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment